Quite often I heard SCAdians claim that they have no intention of getting tangled up in politics. But many fail at that worthy goal. So, as someone who ended up to her ears in politics far too often and has no one but herself to blame for that, I give you:
The Cynic's Guide To Avoiding SCA Politics
Excerpted from a posting to the Drachenwald Mailing List, Mon, 28 Oct 2002
- Take what you are given. Do not ask for more, do not try for more. Ambition breeds dissent, dissent breeds politics.
- Do not try to make things better. Someone else will invariably have a different idea of 'better', and so the squabbling starts.
- Do not voice an opinion. Either people will share your opinion and flock to you, or people will hold a different opinion, and before you know it you are part of a faction. Keep your mouth shut.
- As soon as anyone starts talking politics, leave. (Of course, you leaving will be considered a statement, just as you staying, or you trying to shut that person up. Leaving is the most pragmatic approach: While you will not come out clean, at least you do not need to watch.)
- As soon as anyone tries to convince you about anything, leave. (The above applies.)
- If you hold an office, as soon as you get into conflict with anyone who has any clout at all, shut up and leave. Give up the office, if necessary.
- If one of your friends gets into trouble politically, do not come to their aid or defend them. You will end up where s/he is.
- Focus your SCA interests on things, not people, but do not pour your heart's blood into them. Someone with political clout might consider your favorite activity unfit for the SCA, and you do not want to get involved about something like that.
(certified nitpicker, know-it-all and general nuisance emeritus)
back to SCA page
back to main page